McGivney Hall Dedicated at The Catholic University of America
The Catholic University of America rededicated one of its prominent academic buildings Sept. 8, 2008, after a major renovation funded by the Knights of Columbus.
The building was renamed McGivney Hall in honor of the Venerable Servant of God Father Michael J. McGivney, who founded the Knights in 1882.
The Knights of Columbus has a long tradition supporting the mission of The Catholic University. Beginning with a $55,000 contribution in 1904 to endow a Chair in American History, the fraternal order has provided the university with more than a century of financial support.
In 1914 the K of C provided CUA with a $500,000 endowment for fellowships and operating costs. In 1965, the organization established the Pro Deo and Pro Patria Scholarship Program to provide tuition assistance to Knights and their family members attending the university. In 1989, the K of C created the $2 million Bicentennial of the U.S. Hierarchy Fund to benefit CUA, proceeds of which helped finance construction of the law school building.
Located on campus at the southeast corner of the central mall, McGivney Hall is at the center of many of the university’s programs and activities. The five-story limestone structure of modern-classical design was built in 1958 as the university’s physics research facility.
McGivney Hall will serve as the new home for the North American session of the Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family, a graduate school of theology affiliated with the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome, as well as CUA. The Knights of Columbus provides major financial support for the Institute, which had previously occupied administrative and classroom space at CUA’s national seminary, Theological College.